Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hunger Games

I joined the millions of people who ventured out to see this novel turned movie on Sunday. Although, I did not read the series, the plot was all to familiar.

The overall concept was a bit jarring for me to deal with. Historically, the human race has performed unspeakable acts against children. Hell, humans, in general, have done unspeakable acts against one another! I guess seeing the terrified young faces struck a cord with me besides the overuse of propaganda and the rich staying rich imagery. It feels like it rang so close to the time we're all living in now.

But the one thing that bothered me were all the negative tweets in regards to the Rue character. I read tweets ranging from how someone couldn't believe the author cast a young African American actress to fill that part to how someone not wanting to see the movie anymore once she learned Rue was portrayed by a black girl.

I know mere children had to have written remarks like those because the ignorance spoke volumes. Maybe I'm fooling myself into giving a young person the benefit of the doubt. I know racist exists out in the world. But like they say movies have a way of imitating life.

All I ask is that we take the movie for what it is, a form of entertainment, although a bit morbid at times. Their are definitely many messages to take away from it but overall it's about a girl willing to step up and protect what little family she has left. She also protected her friend that was technically supposed to kill her. I think that's something to commend. A character that has heart is good in my book.

You didn't see Katniss not willing to help Rue just because she was a darker skinned brown girl now did ya!? Children don't see color....that's taught. Let's stop teaching them how to judge a book by it's cover (no pun intended).

Have a good week.
Rhonda

No comments: