Monday, April 30, 2012

Scared To Be A Friend

It seems over the years and with the increased social media activity distance is growing between us all. Instead of picking up the phone to call your friends, you send them a text.

I will admit I'm a guilty party to that as well.

Of course, life happens and this last week my car broke down. I wasn't surprised in the least. The car is 13 years old and has paid for itself time and time again.

One 'friend' (term loosely used) always seems to resort to calling or texting me at her most opportune times. Namely, when she's in need. I realized today that I truly don't know alot about this woman. I met her just over 2 years ago and it seems when she was seriously ill and in very much need, herself, no one was around. In moments like that you would think that would be a segway to disclosing more personal experiences and information about yourself. With her, no.

Why would I want to surround myself with someone who hasn't taken that risk of wanting to be my friend? Have we come to this as a society...we've become so suspicious of one another so much that it's just easier to send a mild text. Easier to call them once a month. Easier to keep everyone at arms length.

That kind of behavior doesn't keep you safe.

Life is about risks, taking chances. I know I'm a fine one to talk but I try my hardest to step off that ledge on a semi-regular basis.

So next time you meet someone who you think is cool, give them a chance, open yourself up just a bit. If they respond back in kind, then great, if not, then keep it moving.

Namaste,
Rhonda

No comments: