Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Do you believe in morals?

The definition of morals is: of or concerned with the judgment of the goodness or badness of human action and charcter/conforming to standards of what is right or just in behavior; virtuous

But how do we even know what is truly considered right from wrong? Is it that nudging in your gut or when your conscience is still speaking to you well after the situation was said and done? Maybe....

I saw a movie yesterday that was set back in the 1950's and a scene kind of disturbed me. I totally understand that it was just a movie but sometimes art does imitate life. It was during a wedding reception scene and all the teenagers went out into a private garden to get high. Turns out getting high wasn't enough. It soon turned into a full fledge orgy. One girl in the scene ends up getting raped. I totally understand that times are different now. People are more open, sexually speaking, but when is leaving yourself open too much?

I've definitely been involved in similar situations like that, where everyone was going in one direction and you weren't comfortable joining in. My main reason was out of fear. My entire life has been navigated with fear sitting at the steering wheel.

The closest I've been to that situation was back in high school. A school friend of mine came by my house to pick me up to hang out for a bit. Once I walked outside I see a guy, who I had a crush on at the time, from our school sitting in the drivers seat. I had no idea he had a car, muchless, a drivers license. We basically went joyriding around the city for a few hours. That actually occurred two nights in a row. When the weekend rolled around my friend tells me the guy was arrested. Come to find out the car was stolen and he had no drivers license at all. Was I that naive to think this guy was on the straight and narrow to even begin with? I don't know, maybe I was. We all would like to just assume that everyone has our best intensions in mind. That everyone is practicing ethical behavior and living on the up and up but the fact of the matter is that most don't. We are all imperfect beings and slip-ups are to be expected but free-will with a conscience is within us for a reason.

I can only speak from my experience and I am fully aware of when I tell a lie, be it white or not. I'm fully aware of when I hurt someone else's feelings, intentionally. Sometimes you don't want to hurt others. But I know for me, their are plenty of individuals that I would like to knowingly hurt but I choose not to. I guess that's where morals come into play. If none of us had that small compass inside us I think the world would be a much much more harder place to exist.

Your Voice: Do you consider yourself to have morals? And do you think most people walk through life using theirs?

Look forward to hearing from you all.
Namaste,
Rhonda Iris

No comments: